32 votes

warn for missing & fill in missing tags info

completed gbd 15 supporters

To make good use of the search engine it's important that tags contain all relevant info. Like year, music genre etc. This is often missing in the embedded info

completed Dan Gravell responded ·

This has now been released... see the release note here: http://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2010/11/28/mp3-tagging-software-new-release-20101120/

Future requests for data other than year and genre should be in separate ideas.

6 comments

Dan Gravell

Can I clarify - do you mean the tags should be filled in which are currently missing?

For example, if a "Thriller" by Michael Jackson was found without a YEAR tag, it would be filled in by looking it up on an online database?

gbd

yes, that's it. And the same for genre. These fields are very often incomplete, and very useful when using e.g. squeezeserver. Thanks for a great program:)

Dan Gravell

Ok cool. Yep filling in tags has always been something I wanted bliss to do. We have to be careful to make sure the matching scheme is good enough of course, because the worst thing about automation is when you manually have to go back and fix things (I think so anyway!).

Glenn

yes, that's it. Some minor A.I. logic would fill in missing YEAR tag after a CDDB etc. lookup.

Dan Gravell

I've been working on this over the past week or two. I had something ready for the latest release, 20101109, but didn't get time to create the rule configuration user interface. Hopefully it should be in the next release.

Dan Gravell

A beta has just been released which allows you to configure 'missing information' rules. If information (tags) are missing, then the album is uncompliant and bliss looks up the info on MusicBrainz, offering any data found as a manual fix in the album detail view.

When this is released next weekend I'll close this idea, and new ideas can be added for other types of information other than genre and year.