3
votes
Albums and Artists Fusion
sometimes, albums names are similar but différents (for example :
05 22 09 12 Off and 05-22-09-12 Off. I which i could select multiples albums then click "fusion". a popup ask which Album name to keep. after validation all are tagged with the selected album name.
same for artist
6 comments
Dan Gravell 21 Sep 2013
Would canonicalisation fix this? If the "correct" name for the release was found and both albums were changed to match this (maybe one doesn't need to be changed) wouldn't that work?
I ask because we already have this for artists: http://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2012/02/28/errant-artist-names/
Bruno Dupuy 5 Oct 2013
Canonisation does not work all time since i've got Artists with the same name differing with capitalization (for example/ i use bliss on a synology).
I'me thinking about an helper to tag albums and artists: you select /albums /artists with a check box then open a popup. in the pop up, you can define all files are from the same artist (you select within artists of the selected files), same album ... on validation, files are tagged with selected values.
Dan Gravell 6 Oct 2013
Yeah, there's definitely an aspect of this where you'd want to just fix it in your library, not necessarily use external definitions of canon.
Fred Larsen 3 Jun 2017
I have "ROLLING STONES", "Rolling Stones", "The Rolling Stones", "Rolling Stones, The", "THE ROLLING STONES" and more.
Marking the relevant posts and merging them into one selected artist name like this ticket suggests would REALLY help cleaning up my collection. I have hundreds of these cases for artists. And for albums as well.
It could also be solved by dragging an incorrectly spelled artist onto the correct name, asking confirmation "Would you like to rename this artist 'ROLLING STONES" to "Rolling Stones"?
I give maximum votes to this suggestion.
Fred Larsen 3 Jun 2017
Just repeating (this is so important to me):
Fusing/merging variations of an artist name would really help to fix one of the two most annoying flaws in my collection!
No more "Brian Eno & David Byrne", "Brian Eno and David Byrne", Brian Eno And David Byrne", "Brian Eno-David Byrne" with multiple albums under each.
Dan Gravell 7 Jun 2017
Ok, so update on this is that I think to an extent release canonicalisation fixes this - if albums are split or duplicated with slightly different names, the album name correction rule should find them and suggest changing the names to the same thing (this would occur separately).
But I think this idea should remain open, basically because it could work around not being able to find the data for a release.
I see this more as a UI feature right now, rather than a rule. For example, being able to multi select as Bruno said to combine albums.