3 votes

Add confirmation to "clear and rescan"

Frank Köhntopp 3 supporters

"Rescan for new files" is something I often do after dropping files into the folder, "clear and rescan" is usually only necessary if something is really wrong. As the two options are very close a "really clear all data" option might prevent some data loss.

7 comments

Dan Gravell

Have you done this accidentally yourself? I can't remember ever doing it accidentally...

Robert Day

Clear and rescan does require two clicks already, so has a little friction built in, I'd like to see similar friction on the rescan button though having accidentally pressed it twice now. Once was down to a trackpad that registered a click that I didn't intend to make, but this time I pressed it quite deliberately but thinking I was on the album page not the inbox. I expected rescan this album, got rescan the whole library.

Dan Gravell

"Rescan" on any of the top level pages (the home page (Inbox), Albums, Artists et al) will rescan the whole library.

"Rescan" on any individual album page will only rescan that album.

Frank Köhntopp

The second click is the selection in a dropdown, i.e. just a couple of pixels difference in picking between an option that "looks for new stuff" vs. "forget everything I did previously". Yes, I did pick the wrong one a couple of times.

"Rescan" is what I click every time I dropped new files into the root of my music folder for Bliss to pick them up, which it does not do (consistently) automatically.

Dan Gravell

There is an annoying 5-10 minute wait after dropping new files, experienced that myself this morning...

Also "Rescan for new and updated files" will be quicker than a "Rescan".

Frank Köhntopp

Oh - is "Rescan" if I just click on the button instead of the dropdown? Never did that ;)

I only ever do "Rescan for new and updated files" and happened to hit "Clear and rescan" a few times.

Dan Gravell

Oh - I see - yes rescan happens when you click the top-level button.