97
votes
Package Bliss as a QPKG for easy installation on QNAP NAS devices, where all my music is :)
completed Dan Gravell responded · 19 Sep 2017
This has now been launched: Release 20170919 - official @QNAP_nas support! https://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2017/09/19/release-20170914-official-qnap/ , would love to get feedback!
46 comments
Dan Gravell 21 Aug 2012
Thanks John. If anyone wants to work with me on this project I'm happy to lend a hand, just as with the ReadyNAS and Synology versions.
Michael 3 Oct 2012
This would be great. I have a QNAP and would be willing to download Bliss onto it and provide remote access if necessary, to get it working.
Michael 24 Nov 2012
Dan, I'll assist and lend access to my test QNAP
Mike
Dan Gravell 26 Nov 2012
I'm really looking for someone who will take bliss and create a package for the QNAP, a little like the following projects:
http://pcloadletter.co.uk/2012/09/17/bliss-package-for-synology/
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=53986
Benjamin 15 Dec 2012
Any update on this? Thanks
Dan Gravell 15 Dec 2012
For now I'm still waiting on anyone with the technical chops on QNAP to start work on it. As I said I'll be happy to help.
Michael 27 Dec 2012
A QPKG is created and in the testing phase. Can you tell me where the file is that saves the config settings?
Dan Gravell 28 Dec 2012
Woh, cool!
A folder is created in the user's home drive called '.bliss'. Inside this all the config and internal data is stored. It is possible to override this location if required.
Feel free to get in touch by email if you have more detailed questions.
Sebastiaan 4 Jan 2013
Good to hear that there is a development going! If there is an update, please let it know.
Jan Tönjes 13 Jan 2013
yeah, it'd be awsome of this would work :-)
Dan Gravell 13 Mar 2013
There's a discussion about this here: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=72660
James 19 May 2013
Any progress on this? Would love to run it on the NAS. Also, if support of file conversion would be nice. APE+CUE/WAV/multi-track-> individual Flac
Dan Gravell 20 May 2013
You'd have to ask the people writing the plugin... best to get in touch with them via the QNAP forum.
Joseph Derrick 10 Jun 2013
This never appeared to come to fruition, or have I somehow missed it?
Dan Gravell 10 Jun 2013
I'll try to follow up to some of the people below...
Dan Gravell 12 Jun 2013
I've been in touch with some of the people below, and they sent a WiP QPKG: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6134049/Bliss_0.1.zip
As far as I can see, this is a work-in-progress for an old version of bliss. If anyone wants to take this forward I offer all the help I can in customising bliss to make sure it runs fine on QNAP devices. However, without a QNAP to test on myself, there's little point in me doing this work.
Dazzer_H 13 Nov 2013
Would love to have Bliss running on mt QNAP NAS
Anonymous 10 Oct 2014
Hi Dan
I'd also like to help if I can - have an x86 Qnap
mb
Dan Gravell 13 Oct 2014
mb, please get in contact via http://www.blisshq.com/contact.html and we can discuss...
Jos 2 Apr 2015
Hi, I also would like Bliss to become available for QNAP. Sadly I don't have the necessary skills
(knowledge of Linux, compiling binaries, the command line, installing Java).
Hopefully somebody else does?
J.
Dan Morgan 10 Jul 2015
+1 vote for Asustor NAS devices (they use apk's). Used to have a ReadyNAS as my primary, but upgraded to Asustor. My remaining ReadyNAS is already overloaded app-wise, so don't want to use the RN app if possible. :)
Dan Gravell 13 Jul 2015
Can anyone comment on whether implementing bliss within a Docker container would satisfy this? I understand Docker support is coming to QNAP but wasn't sure on device by device support.
Also: http://ideas.blisshq.com/forums/21939-bliss/suggestions/8836213-bliss-docker-container
Sean Gordon 8 Nov 2015
I can confirm that Bliss works in the QNAP Container host, and the set-up process is pretty straight forward. The steps I used are listed below - any improvements or suggestions welcome as this was my first shot at configuring a container...
BTW: It would be handy if there was a standard URL for fetching the latest Bliss install jar file - e.g. http://www.blisshq.com/downloads/bliss-install-latest.jar
Create New Container - I used ubunti-trusty (LXC) which is listed under the QNAP Recommended Containers
In the configuration panel make the following changes:
Advanced-Network: Map TCP port 3220 on container to 3220 on host NAS
Advanced-Device: TTY(4) R/W (Not sure if this step is necessary)
Advanced-Storage: Map /path/to/music to /mnt/Music (R/W)
CPU 50%, RAM 1024 (Just a guess here, but these limits seem to work with my library)
Start the Container, and got to the container console in the QNAP UI, then execute the following commands
apt-get update
apt-get install wget
apt-get install openjdk-6-jre
wget http://www.blisshq.com/downloads/bliss-install-20151013.jar?20151013&filename=downloads/bliss-install-20151013.jar
java -jar bliss-install-20151013.jar -console
I installed bliss in /root, so start using /root/bin/bliss.sh
Wait for Bliss to start, then go to http://<your-QNAP-IP>:3220 and configure Bliss as normal.
Sean Gordon 8 Nov 2015
It looks like the memory and CPU settings are fine for the QNAP Container - Bliss is currently churning through my music collection and the container memory usage are both sitting around 60% of the allocated resources (1024Mb & 50% of NAS CPU), so I'd expect it to be a lot lower once the initial scan is complete.
Dan Gravell 9 Nov 2015
Sean, so is this "native" running inside QNAP or is it inside a Docker container? What processor is the QNAP running?
I have also been talking to someone writing a Docker container, see https://hub.docker.com/r/gshipley/bliss/ . I thought this was only good for x86 architectures, but maybe QNAP is x86...
You can get a URL to the latest version of bliss from http://www.blisshq.com/app/latest-linux-version .
Great work.
Sean Gordon 9 Nov 2015
Dan, My install is on an x86 QNAP NAS running QTS 4.2 - this comes with the QNAP Container Station app which supports LXC and Docker containers. There is also access to the docker & LXC command line tools if you SSH to the NAS. The only reason I chose the LXC image was that it built a smaller container that the Docker one for the Ubuntu install.
I've checked the link to gshipley's site and I can fetch the Docker image using the command line tools on the QNAP and the container runs fine on the QNAP :o)
Cheers
Sean
Dan Gravell 9 Nov 2015
Cool; I didn't really perceive the difference with LXC but now I can see we are using two different technologies there. I like options ;-)
Dazzer_H 10 Nov 2015
Hi All,
Please could someone explain to a technophobic, in Janet and John style, how to set this up running on a QNAP 869.
Many thanks :) :)
Dan Gravell 10 Nov 2015
Sean is going to write up the instructions for the blog. There's also the Docker container here: https://hub.docker.com/r/gshipley/bliss/ which I think should work if you are running an x86 based QNAP device. Anyone have instructions for how to get started with that on QNAP?
Dan Gravell 1 Dec 2015
I added the step-by-step instructions written by Sean here: http://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2015/12/01/installing-bliss-qnap-docker-container-station/
Patatorz 29 Dec 2015
Hello I tried to install it on a qnap following the instructions but since the first command (docker build --rm=true --tag="bliss-image") it fails. Perhaps i missed something......
Thanks for your help
Dan Gravell 30 Dec 2015
Not sure if this was also you but... http://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2015/12/01/installing-bliss-qnap-docker-container-station/#comment-2430899885
Anonymous 22 Feb 2016
Hello.
Great service/app you have created from what i have read.
I would be very happy to buy unlimited license if only there would be qpkg for simple installation and updates.
Current bodge dont say how to update to new versions. Also, current solution require some tricks to make it work.
I would prefer to have nice clean install with simply way of updating to the latest version on QNAP.
Are there any plans to take QNAP seriously and create, port BLISS to it?
In the end there are many people interested in that solution.
The qnap qpkg could be released to a third party qpkg library - doesnt habve to be in the official QNAP app library.
Dan Gravell 22 Feb 2016
You should be able to use in-app update to update bliss.... I think re-downloading the Docker container will also re-download the latest version of bliss.
But I agree this is a bit of a halfway-house. It's a question of having time to dedicate to this... Better support for more NAS devices is definitely one of my higher priorities.
Anonymous 22 Feb 2016
Thank you for the prompt reply.
Do you have any eta for the QNAP package?
Dan Gravell 22 Feb 2016
No, sorry. All I can say is integration with NASes is up there with a handful of other priorities...
Anonymous 22 Feb 2016
I am not sure is that right, but the docker have build so far 104GB deamon...and counting.
[/share/Docker] # docker build --rm=true --tag="bliss-image" .
Sending build context to Docker daemon 104.3 GB
Please advise.
Dan Gravell 23 Feb 2016
I'll update this thread: http://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2015/12/01/installing-bliss-qnap-docker-container-station/#comment-2529424081
Dan Gravell 18 Nov 2016
I forgot to mention that work on this is being collaborated on at https://github.com/seangordon/QNAP-bliss
This is a project to build a QPKG installer. In theory I think it works now; there are a couple of issues outstanding: the only major one is that fingerprinting doesn't work.
Anonymous 6 Sep 2017
I do have a Qnap....:-)
Perhaps I could test it?
Dan Gravell 6 Sep 2017
Just working through one problem already found, then I'll send you the updated version.
Joseph Derrick 6 Sep 2017
I'd love to beta test!
Joseph Derrick 9 Sep 2017
I've installed the latest qpkg on both my ARM and Intel based devices and it seems the service doesn't start after installing? How can I start it?
Dan Gravell 11 Sep 2017
Probably easiest to chat via email... but there should Start button next to the App.
Jeff wilson 19 Sep 2017
Dan the qpkg is 404.
Dan Gravell 20 Sep 2017
Thanks for the heads up - have fixed - you might need to refresh your browser.