1 votes

$tmpdir setting

completed Tomas 2 supporters

Hello I have quite small /tmp (128MB) running tmpfs on linux (ramdisk) and sometimes (quite often actually) it happens that bliss creates dump file (like bliss.heapdump.36835572621.1336862581339.hprof) which consumes all space in my /tmp which have impact on overall system functionality.
My request/question - is there way how to set $tmpdir for bliss? or even better is it possible to disable heap dumps, or direct those to specified folder?
thank you

completed Dan Gravell responded ·

This is covered by the VMARGS variable (see comments)

3 comments

Dan Gravell

Thanks for asking. You can set this by setting the VMARGS variable before running the bliss.sh script. When setting the VMARGS variable, you can set the tmp dir location.

export VMARGS=-Djava.io.tmpdir=/path/to/tmpdir
bliss.sh

Is this good enough?

Tomas

Hi Dan, it seems to work OK, although I've not got any heapdump, so in case it would not work for heapdump I can create a new request again :)

Thank you

Dan Gravell

Thanks Tomas. The heapdump should only be generated when bliss is consuming a rather-worrying amount of memory anyway... if it doesn't generate there's nothing to worry about.