10 votes

Ability to enter missing track number (or set to 00) for filenames

RBoatright 7 supporters

I have a number of pieces that are the result of recording old cassettes, or sometimes albums, or pieces that I have recorded live, or lectures, or whatever, that simply do not HAVE track numbers.

Bliss complains that they're uncompliant, because they don't HAVE a track number... which is fine. But I have to bring up some external tag editor because BLISS doesn't let me enter a track number. Ideally, a "if track is missing utterly, number them in alpha order in that directory automatically, and don't ask me" function would be best. Or, perhaps, a "Set to 00" button, but again, like the other one, I don't know why I have to authorize it.

4 comments

Dan Gravell

This actually went through two early versions of functionality.

Originally, the track number simply wasn't included in the path, so you'd get files like "-Track1.mp3". Depending on the token after the tracknumber, this could sometimes result in invalid filenames.

Next, a common string like "no-track-number" was added. But I think I just found this ugly. Furthermore, in some cases people have a filename that is descriptive without tags, and this would destroy their organisation totally.

So I just settled for alerting to the problem. I think I would prefer a solution where the tracks could be numbered (in this idea, manually). I think I shall need to start listing the tracks for each album, soon, anyway, so that should offer a UI to achieve this.

Dan Gravell

Another idea on this is that it should hook into the auto tagging feature to look up/suggest the track number for you. Might save a few seconds...

Dan Gravell

I thought of another way around this. You can use a conditional file organisation pattern. For instance, if your pattern is:

<album_artist>/<album_name>/<tracknumber>-<track_name>

You could change this to:

<album_artist>/<album_name>/<tracknumber>?|<tracknumber>-|<track_name>

So the track number is skipped if it is not present.