I agree. As more stuff is added to the interface, a search function becomes one of the easiest way of finding things.
I think it should be top level (accessible from any page) and it shouldn't just search for albums, artists etc.... it should also search for bliss concepts. E.g. search for 'settings' - suggests a settings page. Search for 'albums' - suggests the album overview page. Anyway, that's a vision, maybe first step would just be album/artist search as you say.
"Being able to search your database for artists, albums, albums of a specific genre, etc would be a huge bonus.
When you have thousands of albums spread amongst many hundreds of artists finding the album or artist within the artist and album displays is an onerous task. A simple search box that returns simple text matches for artist, album, genre, etc., would be a good start. Advanced searches where you can search for strings within the specific topics of artist, album, genre etc., would be even better."
Should not be too strict - I have so many albums whose titles starts with "the". I would want the search to work even it I didn't type "the". As someone else suggested, matching artist and album name at the same time would also help.
I'd like to be able to search for an album or artist by entering a string in an entry box. A partial match maybe even with a simple wild card would be great.
My wife asked me to play the album we always listen to, 'the one with the red curtains that's opera arias' ...
Neither of us could remember the name.
Is there a way to search by genre, so I could look for an opera record, rather than artist or "starts with"?
(Turns out it was "Classic FM - The Operas Greatest Arias", found after a Google search...
The closest thing is using search on the Tags page, but this is an exact match and it shows files, not albums. This might at least give you an idea what album it is!
Would love this. When I stream my music via Logitech Media Server, I often have the album art showing on a materialised view in a web browser on my 50" TV (a great way to fully appreciate the album art - even bigger than the original LP covers!). I sometimes spot ones that are crap scans, back covers or even rubbish digital photos of sleeves, so I'm just about to start correcting those using Bliss.
It'd therefore be really handy if I could enter a search string for the specific album to jump straight to it in Bliss. This is my No. 1 feature request right now. Thanks
This would be a great quality of life feature...my biggest frustration is trying to find an artist. Especially since the paging isn't correct when switching to view 96 items per page so can't jump to the last page. Have to click through several pages of results to find an artist. An alphabetical filter for artists, similar to albums, would be awesome.
can you add a search feature for the Albums and Artists tabs? (or make it more obvious if one already exists). Sometimes I need to change the tags for a single album and it is a Royal PITA to have to scroll through 1000 pages to find the right album
20 comments
Dan Gravell 27 Oct 2011
I agree. As more stuff is added to the interface, a search function becomes one of the easiest way of finding things.
I think it should be top level (accessible from any page) and it shouldn't just search for albums, artists etc.... it should also search for bliss concepts. E.g. search for 'settings' - suggests a settings page. Search for 'albums' - suggests the album overview page. Anyway, that's a vision, maybe first step would just be album/artist search as you say.
Dan Gravell 21 Dec 2012
I merged Matt Jenkins idea into this one:
"Being able to search your database for artists, albums, albums of a specific genre, etc would be a huge bonus.
When you have thousands of albums spread amongst many hundreds of artists finding the album or artist within the artist and album displays is an onerous task. A simple search box that returns simple text matches for artist, album, genre, etc., would be a good start. Advanced searches where you can search for strings within the specific topics of artist, album, genre etc., would be even better."
Neil Bird 1 Feb 2013
Yes, it'd be nice to see an interactive (like google) matches-anything search (title, artist, genre, maybe filename, etc.).
Kent Williams 3 Jun 2014
Yes.
Kent Williams 3 Jun 2014
As I suggested to Dan, a compact searching box with drag & drop would make working with Ableton Live easier.
Anonymous 22 Jan 2017
Should not be too strict - I have so many albums whose titles starts with "the". I would want the search to work even it I didn't type "the". As someone else suggested, matching artist and album name at the same time would also help.
Ralph Martin 26 Jan 2017
We can search for albums by initial letter - why not the same for artists? And why no free text search?
Dan Gravell 27 Jan 2017
Certainly no reason other than it hasn't been implemented yet ;-)
rob 23 May 2018
I'd like to be able to search for an album or artist by entering a string in an entry box. A partial match maybe even with a simple wild card would be great.
So *im
would match Jim Croce as well as Tim Buckley
Nathan Freedenberg 16 Dec 2019
Please...with a cherry on top. A search function would make my life more bliss.
Nigel Goode 10 Nov 2020
My wife asked me to play the album we always listen to, 'the one with the red curtains that's opera arias' ...
Neither of us could remember the name.
Is there a way to search by genre, so I could look for an opera record, rather than artist or "starts with"?
(Turns out it was "Classic FM - The Operas Greatest Arias", found after a Google search...
Dan Gravell 10 Nov 2020
The closest thing is using search on the Tags page, but this is an exact match and it shows files, not albums. This might at least give you an idea what album it is!
Jason Matousek 19 Mar 2023
As a new user to Bliss, I'm really feeling the limitation of no search function. Even a first letter search for artists would be amazingly helpful.
Dan Gravell 20 Mar 2023
Totally appreciate this - it's been on my radar a while.
Andrew Morrison 28 Sep 2023
Would love this. When I stream my music via Logitech Media Server, I often have the album art showing on a materialised view in a web browser on my 50" TV (a great way to fully appreciate the album art - even bigger than the original LP covers!). I sometimes spot ones that are crap scans, back covers or even rubbish digital photos of sleeves, so I'm just about to start correcting those using Bliss.
It'd therefore be really handy if I could enter a search string for the specific album to jump straight to it in Bliss. This is my No. 1 feature request right now. Thanks
Dan Gravell 28 Sep 2023
@Andrew makes sense - I often do the same thing - noticing things I want to update - although not always with album art.
Anonymous 28 Oct 2024
This would be a great quality of life feature...my biggest frustration is trying to find an artist. Especially since the paging isn't correct when switching to view 96 items per page so can't jump to the last page. Have to click through several pages of results to find an artist. An alphabetical filter for artists, similar to albums, would be awesome.
Dan Gravell 29 Oct 2024
Can you send us a debug archive to support@blisshq.com so we can look into the incorrect paging? See https://www.blisshq.com/support/faq/general/how-create-debug-archive.html
Dan Tappan 12 Sep 2025
can you add a search feature for the Albums and Artists tabs? (or make it more obvious if one already exists). Sometimes I need to change the tags for a single album and it is a Royal PITA to have to scroll through 1000 pages to find the right album
Dan Gravell 12 Sep 2025
@Dan Note that you can use the Tags page to filter, so enter the album name and you should just see the album files.