Standardize Capitalization of Tags (Album, Title, etc)
I (like most of you) am a bit anal about my music collection. I prefer all my tags to follow proper capitalization rules. I've standardized all my album names to match case wise ("A Hard Day's Night", "Beatles for Sale"), but applying these same rules to the track titles is just not feasible to do manually. Some of my track titles have every word capitalized, others have no capitalization. It would be great if there could be an option to allow bliss to correct tag capitalization. It could have an option to follow standard title rules (something like http://grammartips.homestead.com/caps.html), and the option to capitalize every word, since I know others prefer that instead.
completed Dan Gravell responded · 29 Apr 2014
This is now released! http://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2014/04/29/new-release-20140423-case-rules/index.html
23 comments
Dan Gravell 26 Oct 2011
Yeah, I've thought this would be a good idea for a while. In fact this drives my wife mad - she will sometimes be scrolling through our music and then often asks "when are you going to do the capitalisation thing for bliss?" !
Shawn Kernen 19 Mar 2012
I use Audiofiler first [http://home.fuse.net/honnert/AudioFiler/]. It has a tag fixer, smart capitalization, puts audio in proper folders and other functions. The only thing it was missing was an auto art finder; this is where BLISS comes in. It would be awesome if you could combine the two.
carlton 26 Jun 2012
I have several albums that do not use Standardize Capitalization i.e. ‘the psychomodo’ by Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel. I believe that it was the artists’ intent to have it this way and therefore we shouldn’t change it. Surely music is about the creativeness not neat filing.
Dan Gravell 27 Jun 2012
@carlton I agree, here's what I think on the subject: http://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2012/06/06/five-factors-canonisation/index.html
This would be an optional rule of 'course!
bo.herrmannsen 25 Jul 2012
if the wife is nagging then better do it... its one thing i would use too
bo.herrmannsen 23 Aug 2012
we urgent need this... it's nagging me too :-D
Martyn 1 Nov 2012
+3 Votes Here! :-)
Fred 30 Dec 2012
Maybe my suggestion can help ? :
http://ideas.blisshq.com/forums/21939-bliss/suggestions/3502337-use-last-fm-api-to-auto-correct-artist-and-track-n
Steve Parry 20 Jul 2013
I hope this bubbles to the top of the list soon...I've delayed setting up playlists (for more than a year now!) because I don't want to set them up and then have to recreate them when the tracks are capitalised using this feature....!
Dan Gravell 20 Jul 2013
@Steve - just pointing this out: this covers only tags... obviously there's a knock on effect of file paths because there's also no force case option for file organisation ( http://ideas.blisshq.com/forums/21939-bliss/suggestions/1825813-control-over-the-case-of-a-file-folder-name )
Steve Parry 21 Jul 2013
Ahhh...I had assumed that changing the case would cause the file organisation rule to trigger...?
Dan Gravell 22 Jul 2013
It will, I'm just saying that this rule relates to tags, and that's where you'll see the setting. The effect on file paths will be implicit, I guess.
Steve Parry 22 Jul 2013
OK, thanks...so my comment is still valid. If were to run the mythical capitalisation rule it would break any existing playlists because the filenames will change. Guess I'll keep waiting and hoping!!!
Andy Fox 16 Aug 2013
I would definitely like to see this as a feature. Right now, I'm using the Grammartron scripts in MP3Tag, and they work brilliantly. They implement rules very close to the ones at grammartips. I'd also like to propose that you include alternatives, such as all mixed case (first letter in every word is upper), all upper and all lower. You can check out Grammartron here: http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=13185&hl=grammartron
Vincent Bourne 13 Sep 2013
Be great to have this feature in Bliss. Historically I've used a script available here http://dougscripts.com/itunes/ for making similar changes using Applescript within iTunes.
Fred 23 Mar 2014
So I assume this will also automagically get rid of the spaces before & after a tag ? :-)
Dan Gravell 23 Mar 2014
With the underlying solution described in http://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2014/03/11/work-in-progress-tag-capitalisation-regular-expressions/ it would be easy to do that. However I would build a user interface in front of this to make it easy to use; that might not include "trimming" tags in the first pass. Please add a new idea for that.
Dan Gravell 17 Apr 2014
Nearly done... https://twitter.com/bliss_music/status/456844684992987136/photo/1
Daniela Haß 2 May 2014
Good idea Drew and thank you for implementing Dan.
Unfortunately I'm not happy with such conversions: He's -> He'S and You're -> You'Re in "Title case (except for clos...).
Starting a capitalization after a ' when there was no space before should be deactivated.
Dan Gravell 2 May 2014
Thanks for reporting Daniela, I'm looking to fix that for the next mid May beta.
Dan Gravell 8 May 2014
Just to let you know Daniela, these are fixed for the next release. The beta is out next week, full release the week after. Let me know if you want to test the beta.
Thanks for reporting...
Edmond H. Pepper, P.E. 11 Nov 2015
Works pretty well; I'd like to see an exception list that could be edited to add exceptions to the case rules so you don't get things like Ac/DC or Mdna, which should always be caps, regardless of title case rule...
Dan Gravell 11 Nov 2015
I've some thoughts on that, see http://ideas.blisshq.com/forums/21939-bliss/suggestions/9657405-override-artist-case-rules-to-enforce-canonical-sp