23 votes

For file organisation, create a new album artist variable to order artist names as Last, First.

Ron Lee 13 supporters

Create a new album artist token to order artist names as Last, First. Also order groups as "The Beatles" to "Beatles, The"

9 comments

Dan Gravell

Thanks. Is this for the file organisation feature?

Jim

I would definitely like the ability to move "The" and "A" to the end of an artist's name. I think "The Beatles" should be in the B's and "The Who" should be in the W's, rather than the T's

Ian

Although I've voted for this, I'd prefer bliss to simply ignore definite articles (the, los, les, de, etc.) for file sorting purposes rather than rearranging the order. I think 'Beatles, The' looks daft. But I do want them under B not T.

Ian

Rico

I am definitely voting for this, but want to keep The Beatles be stored under the B not T directory. Thanks!

Dan Gravell

Another way of approaching this would be to add artist sort name tags and use those, with a <raw> token (not implemented yet, but would be a good general addition).

Dan Gravell

<raw:artist_sort> is now implemented! https://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2016/11/15/release-20161108/

I'm of a mind to now close this - artist_sort or album_artist_sort can now be used, and is a simpler solution to the problem - the only requirement being you still need to store _sort tags!

Dan Gravell

For reordering artist names in the tags (which will then propogate through to file names) see https://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2017/07/04/reordering-the-artist-name/

Laurie Lewis

The problem with using Regex to fix this is that you may want the original name to exist in the metadata. I only want The Beatles under B, not their name changed in the metadata.

Similarly if you use the sort field and it is empty, then your naming will fail unless it defaults back to the album-artist, album etc. To do that you would need to incorporate if statements or similar.

Dan Gravell

Agree - it does point to having special ways of forming file names being a good idea.