Automatic mirroring of music libraries to different music file formats
While ripping lossless (to FLAC or some other codec) is always advised there are times when we need lossy music files.
One example is for portable players. Lossless files take up a LOT of space, so it's more efficient to play OGGs or MP3s or whatever.
In other cases, some music players simply don't work with certain codecs. iTunes doesn't play FLAC out-of-the-box, for instance.
This idea would add a rule to maintain multiple mirrors of your music library. Your current music library becomes the source. You then declare multiple extra libraries, with the desired music file format in each one. For instance, you may say you want an MP3 version of your FLAC library. bliss would then transcode each file into the new format in the new library.
16 comments
Craig McDougall 14 Nov 2011
Vortexbox already does this, although it's a good idea for people who are not running Vortexbox.
http://vortexbox.org/
Dan Gravell 15 Nov 2011
The idea was also partly inspired by mp3fs ( http://mp3fs.sourceforge.net/ ) although obviously without the FUSE filesystem having the mirror leads to more duplication, so it's not quite as elegant.
Jacques 4 Dec 2013
This is exactly what I need.
Also, when I add a new FLAC file to my collection, I would like Bliss to maintain the MP3 transcoding of all new files.
Anonymous 30 Dec 2013
DBpoweramp can also rip multiple formats to multiple destinations simultaneously.
Rainer M Krug 1 Oct 2014
I don't think this should be included in bliss as transcoding into a different format is a different task then managing a music library. Rather create a plugin interface for bliss so that this could be realised as a plugin
Dan Gravell 1 Oct 2014
Interesting comment. You don't think maintaining different versions of a file is a form of management?
Barry Santini 1 Oct 2014
I definitely want this!
Fred 6 Nov 2014
If I can use this to convert all my files in one file format (mp3s are more universal and I don't need audiophile quality as I mostly listen to my music in my car) then I'm interested.
Dan Gravell 7 Nov 2014
The idea would be to convert all files from any format to one specific format, ignoring (but including) files already in that format.
Anonymous 10 May 2017
I am definitely interested in this > The idea would be to convert all files from any format to one specific format, ignoring (but including) files already in that format. AND when I add a new file/album to my collection, I would like Bliss to maintain the transcoding of all new files.
Mike Lerch 1 Jun 2017
I like this idea but have a slightly different spin. I already have the ability to have a lossless library mirrored to lossy through vortexbox, but it is a little monolithic so it would be neat to have other options (e.g. to have a fixed 320k mp3 mirror as well as a 128k VBR mirror). I particularly like the suggestion here that Bliss would take care of those cases where the file format was the same in the source and Target libraries, e.g. when I have bought mp3s from Amazon and that is the highest quality I have. I had to change the Vortexbox scripts to accommodate this.
More importantly, what I would really like from Bliss is the ability to apply different sets of rules to different libraries, even if Bliss didn't create the libraries itself. My in-car infotainment system is very picky about its tag formats, and I have to do a lot of manual stuff to make an MP3 library that is really compatible with it as opposed to the mp3s that will work with other players. I'd LOVE it if Bliss could apply different rulesets to different libraries as well as automatically maintain multiple mirrored libraries, but do see them as distinct features.
Dan Gravell 1 Jun 2017
Yep, I think we'll end up going this way eventually. Did you see http://ideas.blisshq.com/forums/21939-bliss/suggestions/5490000-individual-rulesets-for-different-locations ?
Anonymous 31 Mar 2019
I've always wished I could have a library comprised exclusively of uncompressed audio files. My working library is 33,000 titles. It uses 475 gigabytes of storage. A collection of flacs would require space. I am certain that performing the mathematical calculations involved here would kill me.
I like your idea. Backups and archives could be mirrored, too
Christian L. 2 Dec 2019
eg. Convert all wma, wav -> to mp3
but in this scenario I don't want a mirror I want only keep new target format.
see the app for Mac -> http://www.amvidia.com/to-mp3-converter/support
its supports lot of source formats and supports transport all tags to new file.
brunchto 26 Apr 2020
i don't this that transcoding is something bliss have to do. i rip some disk to FLAC and MP3 (for different players). bliss recognise the disk but in album view tracks are shown twice without any indication. a group by extension or format will be clever
Dan Gravell 27 Apr 2020
@brunchto that's similar to http://ideas.blisshq.com/forums/21939-bliss/suggestions/5292876-distinguish-albums-with-the-same-album-name-from-t - you want a different way of grouping albums.