80
votes
Provide a "Preferred Size" Option for Selecting Album Art
I am generally choosing Album Art at 500x500. I can obviously use min/max to reduce the number of options, but it would be an ideal alternative if I could also select "Preferred Size" and have Bliss choose album art which matches or is close - Max/Min size would still be useful to give to give Bliss a certain amount of leeway (or even better, you could choose to accept any art within say, 10% of this size).
15 comments
Dan Gravell 12 Jul 2011
Yeah this makes sense. Consider the use case that you really want art for all music but you want it to be as high quality as possible. So you set the minimum size low or leave it unset to make sure as much art as possible is found, and you run the chance of smaller art being chosen when larger art is available.
Francis Griffin 1 Oct 2011
I agree with the comment.
Francis
Soja Calcium 24 Jan 2012
I don't see any drawback to this idea. Lower and upper size limits still apply, but the favoured size is that one that gets applied, whenever possible. As an example, in my case, the bigger the artwork, the better, so I'd set the minimum size to "any", maximum size to "900x900" and prefered size to "900x900". Someone looking for smaller sizes would do the just the opposite and it'd work just as well.
ccd 17 Feb 2012
Was about to post this idea myself, but then this one floated to the top. Don't think it's necessary to say that selected art should be within 10%, though- I'm thinking Bliss should choose whatever art is closest to the preferred size, maybe with the option of giving some preference to larger or smaller art so that, if 500x500 was the preferred size, a 510x510 image would get picked before a 495x495 one, or vice-versa.
Dan Gravell 21 May 2012
Thanks for this. It sounds like your main idea is a way to have graduated sizing requirements. I wonder if this other idea could be adapted to fix the situation: http://ideas.blisshq.com/forums/21939-bliss/suggestions/2025863-provide-a-preferred-size-option-for-selecting-al
You could say:
ideal: 500x500+
ok: 300x300+
Everything else is disallowed. What do you think?
Regarding genres, please get in touch via email and attach a debug archive (see http://www.blisshq.com/support/reporting-problems.html ).
Vincent 21 May 2012
Dan, your idea of setting a preferred size and min size would work and is a great idea if you are just starting and have no art. I am in the situation where I added a large amount of art and original when it was just the iphone screen the smaller sizes are fine. I purchased bliss and have spent the time to work on the art as I got a new ipad and the higher resolution screen with ipeng demands better art to really work. So I set the min as 500x500 and max as any. I now have about 45 albums that dont comply and keep trying to find better art. What I would like is a system which says "I have found better art than you have attached" but is less than the 500x500 and that maybe I have 400x400 art installed which is better than a min but not 500x500 ie could be 490x490 etc.
The idea of a low acceptable resolution is great and hopefully simple to do but it should still be tagged as non-compliant as it is less than 500x500. I would like to take it one step further if possible.
Dan Gravell 22 May 2012
Ok, so are you saying the automatic fetcher should still install art that is better, but not necessarily compliant?
Vincent 22 May 2012
I always approved the art that is installed, and because of setting these albums are still flagged as non-compliant so yes the idea is to off art that is better than what is already installed but would still mean the album is non-compliant as it fails the primary min sizing setting of 500x500 as an example.
bo.herrmannsen 25 Jul 2012
i think its better than what we have now... sometimes between X and Y is to narrow... or sometimes you want to do a compromise until better art is availble... for me i have set 500*500 as lowest and 900*900 as the highest... but if there where art lower lets say 150*150 a small note could be nice.. it would then be up to me to click ok...
Dan Gravell 5 Nov 2012
I merged an idea from Bernard Danino:
The settings available in the interface do not in the end strive for the biggest cover art size available, if you wish to be it so.
Instead and although you set no maximum size it will usually settle for some averagely low cover art.
Tim Dutton 12 Nov 2013
I like the idea. would be really great if Bliss could more intelligently recommend art. Eg. The best artwork tends to be (in order) 600x600, 500x500, 400x400, 300x300. Maybe colour depth or something similar can be used too to determine quality.
Matt Khan 10 Apr 2017
When given a minimum image size target, bliss consistently chooses the largest image available which can be extremely large. Provide an option to allow the user to choose closest match (i.e. smallest that exceeds the minimum) instead.
Dave Clement 6 Jul 2020
I have upvoted this and I will add a comment. Being able to get Album Art right is the primary reason that I am evaluating and will almost certainly purchase Bliss.
I'm also a big fan of 500x500 Album Art. It is readily available and works in most applications. I have rules for both my minimum and maximum size set to 500x500, which works much of the time, but not always. It would be great to be able to open this up a bit to have more image files to select from. Unfortunately, the small medium and large options for minimum and maximum size are not granular enough.
I always try to select 500x500 if it is available, but it would be nice to be able to choose something close, for example 500x500 preferred, but nothing smaller than 450x450 or larger than 600x600.
Dan Gravell 7 Jul 2020
Dave - there is a way to have custom min/max settings to narrow it, e.g. to 450-550. See https://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2018/01/09/custom-album-art-sizes/ . Also note the caveats.
Thomas A Crable 2 Dec 2023
In addition, would love to see a VERY/VERY large option added. My preferred art size is 1K to 1.5K pixels. The current very large maxes out at 900. Thanks.
I like to keep large art on my desktop and then have Musicbee automatically reduce it and remove the embedded artwork when I sync to my phone. Disk space is cheap on a PC nowadays. Thanks