182
votes
Ignore compliance for certain albums
Some albums just cannot be fixed because, for instance, their album art cannot be found anywhere. For the sake of achieving 100% compliance I'd like to mark these albums as 'ignored'. I want to be able to do it for any aspect of bliss, for instance file organisation (saying 'actually, the existing location is ok') or genre etc.
Similar to https://ideas.blisshq.com/forums/21939-bliss/suggestions/404839-add-the-ability-to-ignore-albums-where-correct-art .
completed Dan Gravell responded · 21 Jul 2021
This is now released - https://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2021/07/21/release-20210719-ignore-compliance-synology-repository/
Please send us any further feedback you have on this!
36 comments
Barry Santini 8 Nov 2012
Yes, Dan. I want to add "ignore" to Bliss for any aspect of "non-compliance" found. In my case, It may be cvr art or any tagging. I want my music to display the way I want it to. I like the global rules aspect of bliss, but it is insufficiently robust enough in its present form to allow for the type of "personalization" we're looking for here.
But...this might work for those who use presently use just one or two music players. You're right when you say that these personalizations may not work well when one moves their music collection to a future player, so I suggest a way of toggling and tagging the albums that have user- "modified" adjustments so that a sort of these can be obtained later, and these adjustments seen in a reduced, filtered set. This would facilitate adapting the collection to a new player.
Barry
Magnus Sjoberg 5 Jun 2014
Rather than "ignoring" I would like to have the option to set a custom rule for a specific album. That way it will still be compliant and you can rescan your whole collection again.
Dan Gravell 6 Jun 2014
Nice idea! Might need to add that as a separate idea, though... I'll close this once "ignore" is implemented.
Magnus Sjoberg 6 Jun 2014
The rules could perhaps even be conditional, and bliss stop after first matched rule.
Example:
IF <pattern match 1> THEN <custom rule 1>
IF <pattern match 2> THEN <custom rule 2>
<standard rules>
Dan Gravell 6 Jun 2014
Yes, although the way I look at it is having a "selector" to which rules can be applied, e.g.
select all albums where genre = "christmas" => [specific rules]
I just have a natural aversion to conditional statements :D
Dan Gravell 4 Aug 2016
Just wanted to make a note to myself...
Rather than specific "ignore" functionality this should work by implementing "selectors". Create a new selector for this specific album, with a slightly-changed ruleset.
This would be preferable, because selectors are a more powerful, less specific implementation and it should mean less code overall.
Anonymous 18 Sep 2016
agreed. My use case would be for Albums I've crated that are not real albums. Such as all the songs I've recorded for my kids from different bands they have made while taking music Lessons. I collect those songs, make an Album for that year and band name, and add my own art. But there is no real data for this kind of thing of course. So, we need to ignore it.
Dan Gravell 19 Sep 2016
Yes, good example.
Anonymous 19 Oct 2016
Ignore non-compliance for certain rules, especially the caps, non caps values
robin 29 May 2017
Another use case - where one wishes to check compliance for the titles, artists and year of albums, but there are some cases where the online sources just seem to be wrong, or are applying inconsistent rules. For example, sometimes album subtitles get included in the title, sometimes not. Where an album had multiple editions (e.g. a Deluxe edition with more tracks, and published in a different year) the online sources do not distinguish them.
Dan Gravell 30 May 2017
Are you saying you want the subtitles in the album name, or just that bliss is matching to the incorrect release?
One thing that might be useful is the ability to choose a subset of the Linked Releases to use.
robin 10 Jun 2017
In some cases it may be linking to the wrong release (and yes, linking to a subset would definitely be useful - I have at least one case where I have 2 releases of the same album with different content which are bundled into one by Bliss and I'd like to separate them).
But in other cases I think Bliss is linking to a correct release, but that the databases it gets the information from are inconsistent in their approach to what goes in subtitles and what should be part of the main title. A common example is where an album has a 'Deluxe Edition' with extra tracks and the databases are inconsistent in whether they include 'Deluxe Edition' in the title or not. So in those cases where I disagree with the division between title and subtitle, I'd like to have the option to ignore the rule.
Joe 10 May 2018
Has there been any motion on this request? I want to achieve full compliance on my library, but I want to be able to hit "Ignore" or add exceptions for certain things bliss can't recognize just yet.
ex. 1 - I have many live recordings of shows, and the format is always Date - Location (ie 2018/05/10 Boston, MA). bliss wants to change this to 2018/05/10 Boston, Ma. Being able to ignore, or add some sort of exception for state abbreviations would be marvelous.
ex. 2 - (feat.) tags. My preferred method is lowercase feat., but bliss wants to change this to (Feat.). Being able to add an exception/ignore these cases would make my library much cleaner / compliant.
Thank you!
Dan Gravell 10 May 2018
Great ideas. The main progress has been identifying a way of fixing these problems, although work has not begun on them yet.
Ignoring certain compliance for certain albums can be seen as a special case of https://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2017/08/01/ruleset-selecta/ - i.e. the "selector" selects this album in particular, and the ruleset assigned to that selector is the same as otherwise, except with the "ignored" rule removed.
Frank Köhntopp 17 Jun 2018
Very helpful - I have several versions of some albums ("SACD", "2011 Remaster") that MusicBrainz wants to correct to the original one, which is not helpful.
Dan Gravell 18 Jun 2018
This would also be useful for that: https://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2017/10/03/derived-tags/
Anonymous 7 Oct 2018
Agreed
Anonymous 18 Oct 2018
It would be great if you could add a button to each album shown a IGNORE button, this should ignore the remaining non-compliance's. A list of ignored non-compliance should be retrievable. This could be used where a reported non-compliance is disagreed by the user yet the user wants to see a clean and compliant library.
Dirk 2 Dec 2018
I've shown 1502 albums to bliss and quite a number is "unknown". I'm using Sony's MEDIAGO software getting information from Gracenote. And, believe me, Gracenote is knowing every single album.
Dan Gravell 3 Dec 2018
"Unknown" doesn't mean the album is unknown, it means the album's _compliance_ is unknown, i.e. whether it obeys the rules or not.
Normally this is indicative of another problem - send a debug archive to us as per https://www.blisshq.com/support/reporting-problems.html Thanks!
Joshua Braveman 16 Dec 2018
I would like to also be able to ignore suggestions when I've renamed the album title to include qualifying information like "remaster". Since I may have multiple versions of the ablum in my server. Also live unofficial recordings can't be validated by an external database.
Dan Gravell 16 Dec 2018
This would also be useful for having your own fields calculated from other data - https://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2017/10/03/derived-tags/
Matt G 31 Dec 2018
Adding a vote for this. One example is "Remastered" albums. I have "Abbey Road" album as well as "Abbey Road - Remastered" album, and I'd like to keep both, but the "Remastered" gets caught on the Title Check. I don't want to have to unlink all linked releases every time I rescan my library. I'd rather mark the Remastered album as "Ignore" or "Exempt" or something (even if I have to re-ignore it again after rescanning...that's ok.) .
Anonymous 9 Jan 2019
There should be an option to approve or overlook "errors". Such as file paths and album names that are SUPPOSED to be written one way that would otherwise fit into a fix log. One should have the option to say "accept these as correct without changes".
Andy 5 Feb 2019
Bliss is very useful and makes it far easier to organize my music collection than some of the other more complicated desktop tools. I am having an issue: I have added the rule "Check the following information is canonically correct for each album". The tool is suggesting that my "genre" choice is incorrect (likely because it does not match one of the online databases?) I don't want to remove the album from my Bliss collection, but I do want the to ignore the Bliss suggestion.
Andy 5 Feb 2019
Also another consideration regarding ignoring compliance - this could be accomplished at the overall album level (e.g. global) vs at the field level (e.g. genre or title). Obviously, the former would likely be easier to implement.
Anonymous 30 Nov 2019
Ignore an incorrect year. It may want to be set to the recording date rather than release date for reasons of sorting albums into a recording timeline, even if certain recordings were held back from release for many years. Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series falls into this category - the live recording of the Manchester Free Trade Hall concert on May 17th 1966 should be located in a Bob Dylan discography near to Blonde on Blonde despite not being officially released for 32 years.
Dan Gravell 2 Dec 2019
Yes - although this idea would merely ignore that.
For dates, three dates spring to mind:
- Recording date
- Original release date (the original album/single whatever release date)
- Release date (e.g. for remasters)
But that should be in another idea thread.
Ralph Martin 23 Oct 2020
You are making this all too complicated. Why not just look for a file ".ignore" in the album's folder, and just skip compliance processing for the album. That would be simple to implement, and do what most people here want. Then separate suggestions could be made for the clever stuff.
Dan Gravell 23 Oct 2020
We already have that for ignoring files and folders altogether: https://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2011/08/16/new-release-20110809/
The trouble for adding _another_ file for this is that this is something we'll have to continue to support in the future. And the edge cases - does the file get moved when bliss's file org feature moves files? Lots of stuff like this will crop up.
Timo Schmidt 27 Feb 2021
+1
Canononical is giving me "fixes" that are sometimes just plain wrong (title = "When's it okay" -> fix: "When it's okay") or I'm disagreeing on the suggested genre.
A "thanks but no thanks" button would be great.
Dan Gravell 8 Jun 2021
I think it's important to show when the assessment of albums are ignoring an element of the ruleset, so here's the first stab at a panel that shows on such albums' pages.
Edit: this UI has been removed in the final version, this was just work-in-progress.
Dan Gravell 25 Jun 2021
Here's the latest screenshot. This appears on the album page, underneath the track list. There's also a callout at the top of the page to alert you when you have an album that has some rule "ignored".
Anonymous 14 Jul 2021
I'm not seeing this on the updated version I just upgraded to.
Dan Gravell 14 Jul 2021
It's not out yet! I'll mark this "completed" when it is.
Dan Gravell 19 Jul 2021
This was delayed because a bug was found when the duplicates rule was enabled... a new build is out with the fix, so hopefully this should be released soon.