I suggest ...

A search function.

A search function to make it easier for finding objects in large music libraries.

66 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Shawn Kernen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to be able to search for an album or artist by entering a string in an entry box. A partial match maybe even with a simple wild card would be great.

So *im

would match Jim Croce as well as Tim Buckley

• Ralph Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We can search for albums by initial letter - why not the same for artists? And why no free text search?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should not be too strict - I have so many albums whose titles starts with "the". I would want the search to work even it I didn't type "the". As someone else suggested, matching artist and album name at the same time would also help.

• Kent Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I suggested to Dan, a compact searching box with drag & drop would make working with Ableton Live easier.

• Neil Bird commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, it'd be nice to see an interactive (like google) matches-anything search (title, artist, genre, maybe filename, etc.).

• AdminDan Gravell (Founder and programmer, bliss) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I merged Matt Jenkins idea into this one:

"Being able to search your database for artists, albums, albums of a specific genre, etc would be a huge bonus.

When you have thousands of albums spread amongst many hundreds of artists finding the album or artist within the artist and album displays is an onerous task. A simple search box that returns simple text matches for artist, album, genre, etc., would be a good start. Advanced searches where you can search for strings within the specific topics of artist, album, genre etc., would be even better."

• AdminDan Gravell (Founder and programmer, bliss) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. As more stuff is added to the interface, a search function becomes one of the easiest way of finding things.

I think it should be top level (accessible from any page) and it shouldn't just search for albums, artists etc.... it should also search for bliss concepts. E.g. search for 'settings' - suggests a settings page. Search for 'albums' - suggests the album overview page. Anyway, that's a vision, maybe first step would just be album/artist search as you say.

Feedback and Knowledge Base